As the weather turns chilling outside, you may breathe relief from the bites and stings of flying insects such as bees, flies and mosquitoes. But that does not mean your warm and cozy winter will be free from pests. You may relax thinking that the nature takes a rest during winter, but things are not always the way as they seem. Pests such as rats, mice, spiders, termites, cockroaches, bed bugs and ants may be less visible, but they do not go away completely. In fact, they continue to feed, reed and grow in the warmth and comfort inside your home.
So, if you thought of cutting down on your costs by putting your pest control efforts to rest during winter, then you are wrong. If not exterminated timely, pest infestation can be detrimental to you and your family. It can also cause havoc to your valuable property if left untreated. Keep your family and home safe from pests this winter with effective pest control measures.
Discussed here are some valuable tips to keep pests at ay during the cold months.
- Store food properly and safely: According to an estimate, rodents invade an average of 21 million homes in the United States every winter, carrying with them all kinds of nasty diseases. Adding to these little punks, do not forget the wicked cockroaches who love to feed and breed amidst the warmth and coziness of your kitchen. Be it rodents or cockroaches, their major attraction are food items left here and there. Stop these malicious pests from invading your home this winter by storing food safely in plastic air-tight containers rather than paper or cardboard boxes. Plastic containers are hard to chew through, and also help retain the freshness of the food for a longer period of time.
- Close up all holes and cracks: Before winter comes, seal up all gaps, holes and cracks in the walls. Inspect the areas where pipelines and utilities enter your home. Mice can easily get through holes as small as a quarter. Replace all weather stripping and loose mortar around the windows and basement foundation.
- Keep your home clean inside out: A cluttered home is the ideal home for pests. This winter, make your home more organized, clean and tidy to keep harmful pests away. This is also true for the outside of your home. Keep the front and backyard, patio and garage area clean, and free from trash. Garage ins are treasure troves for pests like rats and raccoons, who often leave over scrapes of food. Prevent this by sealing your garage in air-tight plastic cans. Regularly empty the ins to stop pest infestation.
- Use mesh screens: Mesh screens on doors and windows can prevent pests such as flies, bugs and other insects from getting inside your home easily. At the same time, they keep your home well ventilated when needed.
- Hire a professional: If you are worried about the safety of your home and family, it is advisable to seek help from a professional pest control company. They have the experience and knowledge to perform thorough inspection of your property, and put tailored pest extermination and preventive measures in action.
Get professional help for effective pest control, and enjoy the winter with your family with complete peace of mind.